One of the easiest but yet complicated things to do is installing a computer printer. A computer printer will not function until the right drivers and software are properly installed. You need a CD to enable you to install the driver of your printer. However, If you can’t find your printer CD, there are easy ways for you to download the printer drivers and use them to fix it.
How to install the printer driver with the CD that came with the printer
In this guide, we will highlight how you can install a printer on a computer using your CD/disc. Follow the instructions below for more information on installing a CD/disc printer driver.
You should keep the printer CD in a safe place so that if you need to reinstall the printer, you can reuse it. Installing the printer with the CD is the most reliable method of installing the printer, as the driver cannot conflict.
Step One: Connect the printer to your computer
Connect the printer to your computer using a parallel port cable, USB cable, or SCSI cable, and plug into an electrical outlet.
Step Two: Configure the printer and install the software
Each printer must have the software used in installing it in Windows or any other operating system
How to Install the printer driver with a CD wizard:
Follow the instructions below.
- Turn on the printer by pressing the power button.
- Insert the driver CD that followed the printer into your computer’s CD drive.
- The AutoPlay window appears asking you to install or run the program on the media.
- Click Run or Open the file named Autorun.exe, or look for a .exe file
- Windows will ask you if you want to open the installer; at this point, you must click Yes.
- Before proceeding with the installation, you must read through the terms and agreements and click on the box next to “I have read and accepted the installation agreement.”
- You will be prompted to click Next to begin installing the printer drivers. The installation program will copy the files from the CD and transfer them to your computer.
- A menu with several options will appear, so choose how you want to connect the printer to your computer.
- Choose to connect via a USB cable, wireless network, or a wired network.
- A window will appear asking you to connect one end of the USB cable to the printer, and you will also connect the other end to the computer/laptop.
- The computer will find the printer (automatically) and continue with the installation.
- At the end of the installation, the installation program will notify you.
- A window will appear indicating that the software has been successfully installed, click on Finish.
How to install the printer driver without a CD Disc
You can install a driver without CD. You can download the printer software from the manufacturer’s printer driver page. After downloading the drivers, run the file to install them.
This happens if the printer driver disc is lost, the disc is damaged, scratched, or the computer CD-ROM does not detect the printer CD or the CD-ROM does not work or the disc software scratches. You can easily install the printer without using a CD. No problem, because currently, the printer driver installation packages are readily available on their official website. Download the installation package and follow the installation below to install it on your computer via the driver installation package.
How To install a printer driver without CD/disc
Follow the instructions below to install the printer.
- First, download the printer driver from its official website.
- Turn on the printer and unplug the USB cable from the back of your computer or printer.
Note: Leave the USB cable disconnected until the installation wizard requires a connection.
- Double-click the downloaded driver package.
- Click on Run, the installation starts and extracts the files; follow the instructions of the wizard to install the drivers.
- Accept installation contracts.
- The installation wizard will now ask you to connect the printer to your computer. Connect the printer USB cable to your computer.
- Wait until the printer is detected.
- Click Next; the printer will now be detected here if a green mark is displayed.
- Click the Finish button to complete the installation.
Installing ink cartridges on Canon, HP, and Epson printers
Canon, Epson, and HP are the leading printer manufacturers. What makes them outstanding is the simplicity of the installation process. Also, new ink cartridges can be easily installed in these printers. It requires a short amount of time to finalize the installation process. Below is a guide on how to install new cartridges on Epson, HP, and printers.
Installing new ink cartridges on HP printers
- Open the printer tray: you must first take the HP printer tray carefully. Your printer needs to be switched on.
- Remove old cartridges: after removing the tray from the printer, you must remove the old cartridges from the printer. To remove the old one, press the cartridge with your hand, to release it from the cartridge holder. Simply remove it.
- Installing the new ink cartridge: Carefully unpack your new and shining ink cartridges and place them in the ink compartments. During the installation process, be careful so that you don’t damage any components of the printer. When you are finished, you should close the printer appropriately.
Installing new Canon printer ink cartridges
- Open the printer tray: MX or MG series are two of the popular Canon printers. They often possess FINE ink cartridges. You will notice a central outlet cover stationed at the top of the output bin. The ink tank must be removed.
- Remove old cartridges: Similar to HP printers, old ink cartridges must be removed after taking out the ink tank. First, press down on the cartridges and carefully remove them.
- Inserting the new print cartridge: Simply open the print cartridges and place them into the ink holder inside the printer. When installing new cartridges, you must follow the manufacturer’s instructions. When the installation is complete, close the ink tank.
Installing new Epson printer ink cartridges
- Raise the cover: Epson printers come with several cartridges. Show much care in lifting the printer cover.
- Remove the old ink cartridges: The next action is to remove the old ink cartridges from the printer. Therefore, grab the old cartridges and remove them carefully.
- Installing new cartridges: it is time to place the new ink cartridges purchased. So start by unpacking them and insert them correctly into the ink slots. After installing them, close the printer cover securely.
These steps allow you to install the new printer cartridges. Canon, HP, and Epson ink cartridges are inexpensive and easy to install. However, keep in mind that the printer components can be quite sensitive. Therefore be careful, so you don’t cause any damages to them during the installation process.
How to Repair Not Responding Error on your Printer
When the printer is not responding, watch this video to find out how to fix it. This can apply to all printers, but in this case, it does not react to Canon, HP, and Epson printers.
If the printer does not respond:
- Check that all printer cables are correctly connected, and make sure the printer is turned on.
- If everything is connected and started correctly, go to the “control panel” of the computer in the “Start” menu. Choose “printers” and make sure your printer is selected by default.
- If everything appears on the control panel, right-click the printer icon and select “Properties.” Click on the “details” or “port” tab and make sure the correct port is selected. Then double-click the printer icon, which will display a list of jobs in progress in the print queue. Cancel all the documents and try to print again.
- If the printer is connected via a USB port, you can try to connect to other USB ports.